Sunday, February 8, 2015

Chocolate Tiramisu Recipe

Backstory
Sometimes when I am down (mostly a week or so before freaking valentines day), I just need something to maybe "Pick me up" and make me experience a haven, a sanctuary of escapade from everything else that just "let me down".
Tiramisu is the perfect dessert for that, as it literally means "pick me up"! I kinda went the kinda vegan way (no eggs, only milk), as the recipe does not contain eggs nor do they contain mascarpone. Also, I dislike Alcohol and Caffeine, and so Rum and Coffee/Expresso was not something I would love to incorporate into something that I want to "pick up".
What to Expect
Well, you should not be expecting the flavors of rum and caffeine which I feel is some sort of delicacy, or something of an acquired taste that my tongue does not respect well. The cream will not have hints of eggs or mascarpone either, so that means that the tiramisu will be far softer than any that you have ever tasted before. It tasted like heaven for me, so everything is sort of going great for me.
Ingredients
Part A: The Bases
a) Lady Fingers (Or you know, sponge fingers where they say it differently)
b) Hot Chocolate
c) Water
You might want to make enough brew of the hot chocolate so that you can easily just dip the lady fingers in, the rest of them you can drink later on, so there is really no wasting going on.
Part B: The Cream
a) Thickened Cream (Half the bottle)
b) Milk (Full cream is better, but yeah you get the idea - 1/4 of the bottle)
In the video, I used one whole bottle of thickened cream and so I put in half the amount taking the bottle by size. I realized it was too much and so half the bottle is actually enough.
c) Mixture of Cacao Powder and Icing sugar. ( 1/4 of each which contributes to half a cup )


Procedure
Part A: The Bases
a) Brew the hot chocolate by boiling water in a pan and then stirring in the hot chocolate until mixed well.
b) When it starts to boil, take it off and let it rest.

Part B: The Cream
a) Pour the thickened cream into a mixing bowl and add milk.
b) Add in the mixture of cacao powder and icing sugar and stir to mix.
c) Now, beat/whip the batter in an electric mixer at medium speed until the batter has a consistent color.
If you dont have an electric mixer you will have a horrible time and a muscular arm by the time you finish!
d) Once the color is consistent for the batter, beat/whip at high speed until soft peaks form. Took me around 8 - 10 minutes to get it to that consistency.

Part C: The Tiramisu
a) Layer the bottom of the mold with a thin layer of the cream.
b) Line the second layer with lady fingers quickly dipped in the brew of hot chocolate
If your mold is too small, you might want to cut the lady fingers with a knife first before you dip it.
Also, make sure you only dip the lady fingers and not SOAK them. If you soak them, your tiramisu will be SOGGY and it will mean "put me down" and that means that the tiramisu has failed in its attempt at making you want to pick it up.
c) Layer again with cream and continue the process until you get at least two layers. The last layer must be cream!
d) By using a sifter, dust the top of the tiramisu with a mixture of cacao powder and icing sugar.
e) Refrigerate for around 4 - 6 hours.
If you refrigerate for less than that, you can see that the lady fingers have not yet completed their mission of absorbing the liquid, and so you can still see the lady fingers. I do have people I know who love that texture (like my dad), so it is up to you. I love to leave mine in the fridge overnight to chill before I have them.
Plating
a) Remove from mold with a (whatever its called) but I used a rice scoop (flat)
b) Sprinkle sliced hazelnut on top of the tiramisu
Some people I know laughed at me when I told them I put hazelnut on the tiramisu and said that it was unconventional. I told them the recipe in itself was already unconventional (no eggs, no mascarpone, no rum, no expresso) - and so I am kinda original. Kinda.

No comments: