Friday, July 18, 2014

Similarities between PKO and KDS

I have been wondering for a very long time, but it seems that no one else noticed that there is a very distinct similarity of the music in PKO (Pirate King Online)/ TOP(Tales of Pirates) with the movie Kiki's Delivery Service - Studio Ghibli.

There are two instances of this that I have spotted:

1 ) Similarity between Argent City music (PKO/TOP) and Umi no Mieru Machi (City with an Ocean View, Kiki's Delivery Service).

2) Similarity between PKO/TOP Title Screen Music and On a Clear Day (Kiki's Delivery Service)

So I was just wondering if they cooperated together, since it was really (apparently) quite obvious :>

If they did, its wonderful. If they didn't, then it would be a disaster since Studio Ghibli is really aggresive when it comes to copyrights :S

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
onito09 said...

I realized and I'm glad I'm not the only one :D

Tales was such a good game in my life

KikiandTOP? said...

I just watched this movie today and I instantly went to google it up

Anonymous said...

My brothers and I used to play TOP (Tales of Pirates, the more western version of PKO) and we only made that connection years after we stopped playing. You're right, it's a definite rip off.

Turtlevan said...

I grew up with KDS in the '90s and played TOP a lot back in 2007, and have wondered this same thing for years. I highly doubt the composer for TOP got permission from Studio Ghibli, but I also doubt that TOP made enough money to be worth pursuing by Ghibli. Regardless, the two songs you mentioned are definitely either a fun homage, or blatant plagiarism haha.

I love finding similarities like this between games and anime. For instance, I have a theory from 1997 that FFVII was originally based on Akira. Glad I found this post, even years later!

Anonymous said...

I just noticed this now lmao. I came by this article, posting to confirm it!