Monday, October 12, 2015

Fusion: Kimchi Meatballs & Couscous


Components:

a) Kimchi
b) Meatballs
c) Couscous


Method:

a) Kimchi

If you don't have Kimchi or they don't sell it where you are, you can make this by hand. Not as good as the original but yeah. You might need:

Greens/Whites/Oranges (Cause I judge vegetables by color :P)
- Wong Bok cabbage (that's what we Chinese people call it, I think it's called Napa cabbage as well. Prepare by you know, how you normally prepare cabbage)
- Carrots (thinly sliced)
- White radish (cubes or sliced whatever floats your boat)
- Chives (normal preparation. Prepare tissues to cry on)

Seasonings (I use teaspoons but the size metric might differ so yeah)
- Pinch of salt (I use sea salt/ Kosher salt)
- Teaspoon of Ginger (shredded)
- 3 Teaspoons of Garlic (minced)
- 2 Teaspoons of Sugar (I use brown sugar)
- 5 Teaspoons Korean red pepper powder (Not sure where to find this in Malaysia though)
- 1 Teaspoon fish sauce (The smell is strong but :x )

Steps are as follow:

1) Throw all prepared vegetables into a huge mixing bowl. 
2) Add all seasonings and mix with hand
3) Keep in enclosed jar in a dark room for at least a week. Shake the jar daily.

b) Meatballs

The meatballs are easier to make. I use chicken mince but you can use whatever meat you want I guess:

Ingredients (Add as you like, I adjusted the proportions so that it isnt as sweet)
- Chicken Mince
- Sweet Soy Sauce (Add more for more delicious flavor - sweeter though)
- Light Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Brown sugar
- Pepper (the powdered one)
- Plain white flour for rougher balls
- Glutinous rice flour for soft silky balls

 Steps:
1) Defrost mince and add the other ingredients in a proportion you like.
2) Wet your hands and roll them into balls, set aside.
3) Pour kimchi into a pot and add a cup of water. Also add two teaspoons of sugar, one teaspoon of light sauce and sweet soy sauce. Now gently put in the meatballs and cover until cooked. You can put in corn if you like.

c) Couscous

I swear to God this is the easiest thing to cook like seriously. I just pour in the boiling stew from cooking the meatballs earlier and they soak it up and get cooked. Aw yeahhh science b*tches!

> Inspiration came while re-watching videos on my Youtube channel and got hungry
> Saw the kimchi in the fridge and some chicken mince (already defrosted and was like hmmmm)
> COOKED. ATE. still one more portion in the pot :3 guess who's happy tonight?


3 comments:

파파Xray said...

The way my boss used to make kimchi was...
Soak the cabbage in salt water overnight. Drain waiter. Prepare the spread or mix or whatever you wanna call it. (made with garlic onions chilli all blended separately, 고춧가루, julienned carrots, reddish, green onions).

At this point you have two choices. You can either cut the cabbage THEN mix in the mix/spread or you can get a handful of the stuff and just spread it onto each individual leaf. Either way it will still taste great provided you get the portions right.

Depending on how much chilli and stuff you put in, this kimchi will come out more on the spicy spectrum. When it has fermented long enough and has slipped more onto the sour spectrum, use it to make 김치볶음밥. Recipe can be found on my blog :)

Cheers!

파파Xray said...

Oh my God just realized I typed drain waiter. I promise I meant to say WATER :O

KiiKii Yu said...

Thank you for the recipe! Will surely try one day. Sounds absolutely delicious :3 I like spicy Kimchi though so I would most probably drown the mix with chilli :P